I’ve always wanted to give these a go and quite often opt for them on the menu, so as it was a long weekend I decided to give them a go!
I used a Jamie Oliver recipe for 8 but halved it.
- 300g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 200g salmon, skinned and de-boned (I used fillets)
- Fresh parsley
- 1 medium egg
- Olive oil
- Peel and chop the potatoes, popping them in a pan of water and bringing them to the boil.
- Rub oil, salt and pepper over the salmon, popping Olathe fillets in a colander with foil over the top and place it over the pan with the potatoes to steam.
- Once they’re cooked through remove them, drain the potatoes and mash. Then leave them to cool completely.
- Once cooled, flake the salmon into the potato, add the egg, finely chopped sprigs of parsley (leaves not stalks) and the zest of a lemon, season then mash together.
- Sprinkle flour on a chopping board and roll the mixture into four patties then place on a baking tray in the fridge for at least an hour to firm them up.
- I made a fresh salad, poured a glass of wine then after an hour, poured a little oil in the frying pan and fried two of the fish cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until brown.
- Try not to make the patties too thick or they’ll take longer to heat up all the way through.
- Finish with a squeeze of lemon and serve…